Google+ bakers and astronauts: water + laughing

06 October 2011

water + laughing



I have had moments when I have told children to stop something like this - pouring water on someone else.  These girls are clearly enjoying the pouring, the repetition, the sensory aspect of cool water on their arms - this is work.  An adult might stop them because they assume a child wouldn't want another to pour water on her arm; because it is to loud for the teacher's taste; because there is a "keep to yourself" type rule at the sensory table.

I love seeing things in the classroom that I have never seen before.  I'll share another moment that made me stop and think later today.

1 comment:

  1. I have been searching for blogs constructed by other early childhood educators and was enchanted to discover yours. Your post about ‘water and laughing’ really resonated with me. So often I intervene when the children’s play with water is looking ‘too messy’ or ‘out of control’ to the cautious eye of an adult. Maybe I should be encouraging the children to make deeper and fuller sense of events and phenomena in their own environment using their senses and emotions. And also to step back and really listen to what is going on, delaying my intervention in favour of trusting the children. Thank you for your thought provoking post, Clair.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...