Google+ bakers and astronauts: In Your Hands and On The Wall

26 March 2009

In Your Hands and On The Wall


I introduced the overhead projector yesterday. I've seen so many photographs, many from Reggio Emilia, of children using materials on the projector's surface. The children worked in groups of three for ten minutes as an introduction.


I was lucky enough to be able to observe all of the groups without interfering and without anyone needing my assistance. Most children laid tiles randomly on the surface for a few minutes and then began constructing objects out of the blocks, like houses and flowers. Some were really interested in the way their hands looked as shadows on the wall, and how the colors looked on their own bodies while standing in front of the light. Others were not interested at all, which is obviously to be expected.

I'm picking up my film after school today -- it includes photographs from a visit to the new Turtlewings Atelier. My husband, my brother and I attended their Grand Opening last weekend. They have a beautiful setup for their projector -- onto a white sheet in the middle of a wide open room so that the children can experience it from both sides. I have mentioned them before - -I was part of a casual meeting in November. They found a beautiful space! If you are in Brussels, you should visit them here. I'll share those pictures with you tomorrow.

Happy weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous27.3.09

    i need to get my hands on a projector again.

    thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous27.3.09

    we absolutely loved the work our children did with the projector. i loved watching them work together in pairs or groups, telling stories with their heads bent over the glass, dancing in front of the screen, drawing intently on sheets of plastic...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed using the overhead in the past but my room doesn't have a great place for projecting right now. I will need to rethink this and see if we cannot get it to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. kristin, I feel like I was often seeing them at goodwill/salvation army stores. keep your eyes peeled for a cheap one!

    lori, it is wonderful to watch and listen! i took a few little video clips that I'm looking forward to showing them next week when the projector enters our classroom full time.

    juliann, if you have a projector, just start dragging it around the classroom to get some ideas...even if it is a little corner or a sheet draped over a bookshelf to project onto, the children will appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...