Google+ bakers and astronauts: Sketchbooks Continue, 6 weeks in...

19 October 2009

Sketchbooks Continue, 6 weeks in...

I feel like I am not sharing a lot about our sketchbook journey. I should make more regular reflections here, but I find that everything I've documented has stayed in the video camera, the mp3 recorder, and my memory card. It's time to get organized, I think.

When I think of this new part of the day, the first thing that comes to mind is success. It's going incredibly well. One of the biggest benefits, I think, is the fine motor activity. Some children do not choose fine motor activities at all because they are difficult, so they don't get the chance to hone those skills. Now they are. Children who never choose to draw or paint ask to continue working in their sketchbook when it is time to move on. Children who have never taken the cap off a marker are asking for their second sketchbook.

There are obviously things to think about. Do they always need a prompt? Can I expect it to start to last longer than it is now? How can we incorporate something besides 2 dimensional artwork? How can we be using it to support our inquiry?

It really is a wonderful part of the day, and I was so happy to share the books with parents last week during learning conferences. I'm glad we're sticking with it, and it's exciting to see it evolve. It feels very natural.

3 comments:

  1. I really love this sketchbook idea. I'm not in a school, but at home with a preschooler and I was thinking he might like to have a sketchbook - so it would be really cool if you could share more about prompts. And I love to hear if you use it on other areas - like take it outside for a nature observation or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just went back and read your other sketchbook posts. I love that you're using them with such young children. Now I'm inspired to introduce them somehow. I teach most of my kids for 3 years. What if I started with my 2-year-olds? Think what an amazing thing it would be to have 3 years worth of sketchbooks . . . for the teacher, parents, and kids.

    Hmm . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cat - We do use them at times besides a morning starter. We take a 2 hour trip to the forest each Monday, and we usually bring them.

    Tom - Imagine three years of sketchbooks! The possibilities! I think more and more about working with 2's again and this is just another reason! There is the obvious benefit of seeing a child's progression in drawing and marking over that three years (which we all know is an immense change in so many ways), but for a child to be able to reflect on it is just wonderful. I love the way it works with my three to fives, but it will be gone next year in Kindergarten. It is not part of our school curriculum.

    I'm so glad other people are seeing the benefit of this, and are interested in our journey.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...