Google+ bakers and astronauts: We Ate Dandelions Today.

08 May 2009

We Ate Dandelions Today.

I have been getting strange looks from other members of the preschool team this week. I'm used to people thinking I'm a little different, but I think this took the cake for some of them.

I told them I was planning to make dandelion muffins with my children. We could go out and "harvest" some dandelions around campus, and then mix and bake and eat! I was completely inspired by this recipe for dandy bread, and as soon as I stumbled upon it last Sunday, I couldn't get it off my mind. And what an ingredient to introduce kids to!












We gathered Dandelions and put them in water. Ater school, a few of the children whose parents were a little late for pick up helped me to gently pull the petals off of the flowers. Some green did end up in ours, but not enough to do anything to the taste.

The recipe was nice and simple -- about 6 children came to help mix and pour into the muffin tins. While we were cooking, most of those children said they would help to cook, but not eat them. But when they came out of the oven, it was a different story. Even my pickiest eaters asked for seconds. Unfortunately, we didn't make enough -- just a dozen. But they have asked to make them again next week, and I don't think I can say no to that!

I'm taking it easy this weekend, but don't forget to enter into the giveaway by Sunday at Midnight (Belgian Time!)

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10.5.09

    i love this idea! i'm thinking about trying with my class sometime soon! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is really amazing! i should try.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...