Google+ bakers and astronauts: Princesses and Postcards

07 May 2009

Princesses and Postcards

I am not really a girly-girl. I did not willingly wear a dress until I was in middle school, and I had a My Buddy instead of a Kid Sister. When I began teaching, I had some trouble making connections to the Disney princess culture that encompasses all four-year-old girls. And if you are going to be teaching four-year-olds, you have to come to terms with princesses.

One of my students this year is constantly drawing princesses. On the art table today, I put out a box with old greeting cards, postcards and small mirrors; a thick blank cardstock; pencils, and markers. This particular girl began making a series of princess postcards -- but not only with people as princesses. There was a dinosaur and a pig as well. I thought this was a nice development!


This has me thinking about communication, handmade postcards, and pen pals. I think I'll be looking into acceptable postcard sizes for the Belgian post...


p.s. don't forget to comment for the giveaway!

4 comments:

  1. I love sending and receiving mail! What about an international pen-pal group? What fun it would be for kids to receive mail from another country, possibly in another language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dinosaur princesses! i love it.

    our classroom bunny, btw, is called "prince rainbow."

    ReplyDelete
  3. dinosaur princesses! i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking about pen pals. The children could design their own postcards and send them back and forth to a child in another country. I'm tempted to use a school in Seattle since I know a few teachers there, but using another international school would also be interesting. Perhaps the children should choose the location!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...