Google+ bakers and astronauts: Slides and Negatives

07 April 2009

Slides and Negatives




I am losing my light table mojo, I think. I have a big light table in my classroom that thrilled me at the beginning of the year, but some days I just feel like hauling it out.

My last good moment of light table inspiration came when I brought in some slides and negatives to put on the light table with magnifying glasses. For the first time in weeks everyone visited the light table to look and explore. The slides were the most fascinating because it is a positive image. The children were looking closely and noticing details like flowers, dogs, houses, and "Allie!" The negatives were harder to recognize shapes and objects in. But it was a hit for a whole week!

I think I would like to take photos of the children using slide film and use that on the light table -- that would be an exciting hunt for them.

4 comments:

  1. i just found a box of negatives in my closest, and was thinking i should bring them to my classroom. my first thought was to let the kids use them for artwork, but then i thought they probably shouldn't be destroyed. this is a great idea! now i just need to find a light table... or some source of light. fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you thought about leaving some slides/negs on the table but also adding paper and watercolors and/or sepia-toned pens? or maybe water-soluble graphite pencils?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allie, I think your site is so great! Always filled with such fun and educational things to do. I always enjoy visiting and can't wait to see what else you come up with. I have given you the Smart Blogger award for all you do. Thanks
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat idea. I got a light table for our room this year, and am sometimes not so sure waht to do with it. I hope I can find some negataives, or slides to use with it. Thanks
    Trish

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...