Google+ bakers and astronauts: Getting Back on the Bike

12 October 2013

Getting Back on the Bike

Moments like these ones are what has drawn me back to early childhood education over and over again.  I could stop him and show him how to use watercolors (water, color, paper....water, color, paper...) but that is not the work he is doing.  A sat down at the table, picked up a brush, and systematically touched every color, by row, washing his brush in between.  His work was a system, a routine, an exploration.





The past three weeks have been a whirlwind in the classroom.  I went from teaching the elementary school students to the preschoolers in the course of a short conversation, and that transition took a weight off my shoulders.  But creating a classroom community with the preschool group is proving to be more challenging because they had two weeks without routine, boundaries, or expectations. I am working in an environment where children's voices are respected and heard, and it was difficult to hear anything but chaos for the first few days.  I took this video of A on the very first day that I began in the preschool, after I had created a separate space for them.  All of the children needed some more direction, the right materials, and engaging prompts.  I hope that is what I have offered them in the past three weeks, and will continue to do in the coming months.






I feel like the class has gotten into a rhythm with the space and the materials.  We are constantly solving conflicts, but that is to be expected, and it is a large part of our work.  My next personal goal is finding an area of interest to the group and beginning to hone in on the possibilities for a project/exploration.  This is a bit like getting back on a bike after a long period of not riding: I know I can do it, but I'm a bit scared.  

How was the first month of school for you?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...