Google+ bakers and astronauts: Imagine, Chapter 7 : Urban Friction

28 August 2012

Imagine, Chapter 7 : Urban Friction

I think this chapter allows for a good discussion on inspiration.

The world is a bit inspiration-obsessed right now :  from pinterest to facebook and design blogs and beyond, we spend a lot of time looking at things and thinking about how great they are, and never acting on those inspirations.  Lehrer talks about David Byrne gathering inspiration in New York, and actually acting upon those inspirations:

"For Byrne, the metropolis is like a sonic blender; every street is a mix tape.  Cities expand the imagination by exposing us to unexpected things, to funky Latin beats and jangly Nigerian bass lines and abstract works of art.  And then, then we;re in the studio, we can't help but weave those ideas into our own work, so that punk rock is melded with pop paintings, Afro-Cuban rhythms, and symbolist choreography.  This is why Byrne describes cities as a kind of 'energy source', and why he always bikes with a dictaphone in his pocket" (p. 178).

The message in chapter seven makes a case for thriving cultural centers, and I wonder how schools can take on that role, or be part of the phenomenon.  What is the role of a school, a preschool perhaps, in a community?  I think about the "unexpected strength of weak ties" also (p. 204).  The more people in your circle, people who maybe you have simply made contact with, the better.  I don't think we can dismiss the power of close relationships, of course, but casting a wide net can provide more resources, more ideas, and more excitement.

So, what do you think about the power of urban environments and their ability to inspire?  Do you prefer strong ties or weak ties? How does your work as a teacher fit into all of this?


1 comment:

  1. So, I'm still catching up on the reading. . . but, I'm gonna chime in :) I think I much prefer strong ties, in all areas of my life, but particularly as a teacher. And perhaps it is because as an art teacher, I am the only one of my kind at my school, so I work in isolation most times (except, of course, working with the children). I think I am hungry for more collaboration and help to facilitate deeper inquiries and help to document!!! There are so many things I want to do in my role, but I sometimes feel like it's just not possible. . . I do my best, but I wish I could do more. And, I'm not sure HOW to do all of these things that I find critical to creative growth (for myself AND my students) all by myself. . . It's tough! That being said, I can appreciate the concept of casting a wide net to connect with others and the "unexpected strength of weak ties." I think this forum is a perfect example. . . not that I like labeling it as weak; it is very powerful to share this space with other like-minds.

    As for urban environments, I think they are incredibly powerful places to absorb cultures (of all sorts) which we can reflect on and respond to in creative ways. My students and I are actually inquiring together about "street art" and urban-inspired public art. The students are responding in phenomenal ways, creating murals and sculptures relating to the visual culture of urban settings, utilizing materials that they would find in cities, and are investigating these environments in such diverse ways. It is so wonderful to see so many view points working underneath the same umbrella; students' ideas have also inspired one another, pushing original ideas even further. And, while I think these intense inquiries have to do to the personal connection the students have to urban environments, I think these sort of deep inquiries are possible under any sort of umbrella idea that is relevant to the community (in our case, in schools, or in whatever capacity we work with children).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...