Google+ bakers and astronauts: Weekend Links

09 December 2011

Weekend Links

One of my very favorite blogs has some new posts - Leaves and Branches, Trunk and Roots is sharing children's versions of three fairy tales.

I love this piece from Early Childhood Research and Practice called The Lights Pre-Project.  The term "pre-project" seems to have been coined in this article, and the concepts makes a lot of sense to me.  What do you think of the idea?

I've probably shared this before, but set aside an hour this weekend and watch this documentary on the Albany Free School.



A TED talk on the history of storytelling, and how we are always innovating and finding new ways to tell each other stories.





Next week, I'll be sharing some storytelling from the classroom, an interview with a new favorite blogger of mine, and hopefully more!

Happy Weekend!


4 comments:

  1. I really loved the concept of the pre-project. I have been trying to wrap my head around how to approach project-based explorations and investigations with my nearly three year old and this article answered all my questions and so much more. Thank you so much for finding it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it - I think everyone, even veterans of the project approach/constructivism/whatever you want to call it - have trouble starting work with children sometimes. I am so hesitant to make my own suggestions because I feel like I am not being true to the children's interests, but that article (and others I have read before) makes me feel more comfortable putting things forward. I do that all the time in my plans anyway - I put things on the maker's table, I put the paint out, I put things in the sensory table - and then I gauge the children's interests in those things. We should feel safe approaching projects the same way.

    Thanks, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...the documentary from Albany Free School was wonderful. I think it just leads me to more questions - which is a good thing. I was most impressed with the council meetings - the level of engagement, autonomy, and thoughtfulness of the children was so palpable. The public school teacher in me can't seem to kick a nagging question though - at the age of 14...when children leave the free school how do they fair in the public school system.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the part that struck me, also. I think about every time there is a group conflict in the classroom.

    I did some work this semester at an alternative school on the Oregon Coast and I wanted to ask the teacher the same question, but never got the nerve up. I'm sure the parents and teachers think about that transition - and the kids too; but I'm not sure how kids can be prepared for it. Maybe there is a parallel from preschools with certain philosophies and children's transitions to public Kindergarten? I often feel that am sending children to K with certain readiness skills, but perhaps they are lacking when it comes to working in a traditional school structure?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...