Google+ bakers and astronauts: Self Portraits in our Sketchbooks

15 December 2011

Self Portraits in our Sketchbooks

I had made a note to myself to do self portraits with the children again at some point - we have not done them since August - but I always found a reason not to do them on a certain day, or to push it back.  In this setting, it is sometimes hard to find the time, and our days can be a little unexpected.

A lightbulb went off in my head, though, when I realized we could try them in our sketchbooks.  We have "free draw" at last twice a week, and on those days, the children can finish work they've done before or start something new.  I've realized that if I am trying to give a specific prompt, I need to have the children find a specific page in their books using a visual cue (like the circles last year).  So, to go along with the verbal prompt of "draw a picture of you", I had drawn a large black rectangle on a page in each child's book.  And everyone did draw a picture of themselves.  I suppose I had envisioned the rectangle acting as a frame, but (as always) the children put their own spin on it.












I could not stop smiling when I saw the ones that used the rectangle as the body.

I think that when I present the prompt of making a self portrait again, we will be able to use a separate piece of paper, but maybe we won't bother.  The sketchbooks are a way to see the progression of children's work; and it is their own creative space.  Perhaps we need larger sketchbooks - I have always made them this size, and I'm not sure why!

Regardless of where we make them, I see the value in this work year after year. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, those made me smile too! There is something about drawings of people made by young children. It's funny that you mention the 'putting it off' dilemma. I have done the same this year. I have an identity board in the classroom with a photo of each child, their words about a prompt, and a piece of their artwork. Usually around late November - early December I replace the photo with a self-portrait drawing. But this year I just keep putting it off...we finished half this week but are not done. I think for me it is partially time, also in part not feeling like there are enough adults as we sit with children in pairs to observe and help them use a mirror to sketch themselves.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allie, I am so very glad that I found your little space :) I think I have read EVERY post. I LOVE it. It is just what I have been looking for for what seems like the longest time. I adore these self portraits. My little guy has just started to draw intentional drawings and they truly are the sweetest things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how the children taught you what the rectangle was for. I always find that it helps to have mirrors, since we really don't get much of a chance to truly look at our own selves. Plus, just having the mirror makes a whole new exploration-just like the square, new reasons for the mirrors always emerge.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...