Google+ bakers and astronauts: another post where I apologize for not posting, but now I ask for help.

13 December 2010

another post where I apologize for not posting, but now I ask for help.

I wonder what it is about reflection that seems to come and go for me.  For two years, this blog has been the perfect place for me to reflect; but in the past few months there have only been a few posts here and there, with most of them being photographs.  Those are good ways to communicate what is happening in the classroom, but without a series of photos that tells a specific story, I am not reflecting on (or sharing with you) the exploration and words of the children in the classroom.  There are often things I find in other places that I want to share with you, but that is not the whole purpose of the blg, either.

This autumn, I made a larger commitment to a class blog that is for parents and children.  It has been successful for sharing our learning with parents and it is worth the daily work. That has been a very positive part of this semester, but one that has taken away from this work.  Between the classroom work, my Master's degree, and continuing to try to improve my classroom practice, the moments of rest have been few and far between.  I am about to have a 2 week break from teaching and my work as a student, and I am looking forward to that.  I also feel that it is time for me to revisit my work on this blog - what am I sharing?  Why am I doing it?  Who is reading it?  Why are people continuing to read the blog?  What more would people like to see/read?

I hope that you will help to answer these questions so that I can come into the new year with new ideas that are both for me and for you.  Would you help me with that?  Let's figure out how to make this best for all of us.

I'll pop in for conversation in thecomments between now and 2011, and perhaps a post.  But let's all have a rest, enjoy the holidays (however you may celebrate) and think back on a fantastic year.

6 comments:

  1. I was in the classroom today and I was thinking about how the room is set up for the children. It has been pretty organic this year, very open. It is something I wish I was documenting more carefully this year - how we have followed the children's needs in the environment, and perhaps the places where we have slipped up as teachers. Where have we taken too much control? When did we take too little?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous17.12.10

    Hello -- I am a longtime reader of your blog and I appreciate your insights. I would be interested in your thoughts about classroom structure and ways to balance spontaneity with predictability and order. I also love seeing photos of your students' work. I look forward to future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous18.12.10

    I can't even remember how I came across your blog, but I've been visiting it for about a year now.
    I teach kindergarten in a high poverty urban school where the demands placed on students are inappropriate. The main focus is getting them ready for the tests.
    There is such a conflict of philosophies between my own and that of the school and district where I work. Sometimes, I feel that I have "sold my soul" when I am doing things (worksheets, scripted programs, etc..) that I KNOW are not what my students need. I do a fairly well job balancing it out by incorporating(Sneaking) play, meaningful experiences and creativity into our day.
    To answer your question - Why do I come here/What am I loking for?
    I come here for inspiration and encouragement to see that there are schools/teachers that are doing thngs appropriately for children. I like to see the photograghs of cool art and block play, writing experiences that are meaningful, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Allie,

    You know, I've been struggling with the same thing - the private class blogs take up time, and the fall was crazy this year, and my thesis doesn't write itself.....

    But, I still visit your blog, and my top 10 or so favourites, for inspiration - I've missed the regularity of postings your blog had previously! So many ideas, and that only increases the quality of my teaching, and all the teachers!

    More importantly, though, I visit the blogs I do - yours included - because it helps create a community. I have a teaching "in person" community, of course, but the practical, in-service on-line community is fantastic. It's better when there are regular posts and dialogue, but even just 'checking in' makes me feel as though I am a part of something worthwhile and important.

    I wonder if there is a way for some of the bloggers who feel like this to post on research themes...not unlike the tape off...looking at a material, or how the environment is being used...so even less regular posts feel connected and supportive of one another...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous31.12.10

    I am a reader of you blog off and on for a while and while it seems strange comment for a reader, i feel like i must say that i understand some of what you are going through. as someone who just completed a graduate degree this month, who was working full time, teaching college part-time and balancing family and personal time...with just a few weeks of free time i feel good, calm. maybe, just maybe you should let go of some of what you do, to feel whole and less fragmented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone, so much for your kind words. It means a lot to have your insights and ideas about this blog - it has been an important part of my teaching practice, but I'm still not sure what that means for things right now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...