Google+ bakers and astronauts: An interest in construction

24 September 2010

An interest in construction

Some work in the classroom is inspiring everyone to build a certain tower over and over again:


Since the first day of school, when M made this building, he and others have been making this daily.  There are some designs that stray a bit from the first simple one, and it has been explored with table top blocks.    But the excitement about this structure has touched everyone.


There are pictures of the many many times this construction has been repeated for inspiration, including the original, exact copies, and new ideas.


This week, we got together and had everyone make the tower.  Then, we sat down and drew the results.  Their interpretations on paper are each so different and unique - but everyone has an idea about those parallel and perpendicular lines.





Some children even included the idea of people in the construction, perhaps the builders or just people nearby.

We are thinking about how to deepen their thinking about this tower and expand their ideas.  Part of this goes hand in hand with what I was thinking about the room last week.  I had a few ideas about how to make more room for construction, and how to mix the ideas together.  To support this exploration, I'd like to have the overhead projector near the construction materials, and to mix dramatic play materials into the whole classroom, allowing children to use a variety of materials wherever they choose.

I'm excited about the prospect of exploring this idea with the children in the coming weeks.

7 comments:

  1. This is what is so inspiring about the project approach, the kids get to be in charge of their own learning. Maybe it's just that we're at the beginning of the school year and we're all starting off with our unit blocks, but I had a pair of girls spend the entire day yesterday building and rebuilding almost the exact same tower yesterday. No one has imitated them yet, but I do find the coincidence fascinating.

    Rock on, my sister! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've found that having a block platform completely changes the possibilities of block construction for kids. If you are short on space, even setting out a big rectangle or square of wood onto the floor offers the children new perspective. I never tire of observing block construction, it's fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allie have you thought of introducing a pendulum and building towers to be knocked down. We did it a little while ago and the children had a great time figuring out height, balance and direction ... and that was just the beginning of a so many new learning experiences.
    Here's the link if your interested.
    Donna :) :)
    http://www.playbasedlearning.com.au/2010/05/pendulum-play/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mariah26.9.10

    I have been trying to get my kids into blocks all year. I build and build and they don't come. I wonder if it's because I don't have a really nice set of blocks? Could I really have a group that just doesn't want to build? I had one kids pegged as a builder -- but maybe I was just wrong. Puzzles, yes -- blocks, no.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drawing the results of their building - genius.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tom, I have had children interested in construction before, but not this interested in the constant recreation of one structure. I feel like it is my role to encourage and promote what could come next!

    Marla, seeing some of the work with the block platform in Reggio was fascinating for me. Last year we had some large cardboard boxes, and the children used those with the blocks to create these new worlds for their dramatic play - the boxes became houses and caves, and the blocks were used as "decorations" on the houses, as well as for props. Fantastic stuff! I'd love to know more about how those sturdy wooden platforms promote construction and imagination, though. Are blocks part of your atelier?

    Donna, the pendulum idea is interesting, and it is for sure on my list as a potential prompt. There is something about the falling of the tower that is as much a pattern as the building, and perhaps some of the interest lies there. It gets to a certain height, and it inevitably falls over. I think the purposeful destruction could be interesting for us.

    and Mariah, it really goes year to year with me. Last year all it seemed my students wanted to do was engage in dramatic play where everyone dies. I don't necessarily think its about a "nice" set of blocks - children will construct with a variety of things if they like to experiment with building. But some children do not! I have never had a group that was super interested in puzzles as a material...but I have never presented too many puzzles. That could be interesting! Trying puzzles out, making puzzles, using puzzles in small groups or with partners - it could be interesting. Anything can be! I also work with the kids in small groups sometimes and they all go to the construction materials and build for a bit, and I document the experience. Showing them their own buildings has always worked to keep the interest in blocks.

    Thank you all so much for your comments!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...