Google+ bakers and astronauts: Infant Classrooms

28 January 2010

Infant Classrooms

I'm still thinking about what infant classrooms might look like, and what might happen there.  I have some inspiration from Reggio in my head, but I have a craving for more information.

I have been looking over at Leaves & Branches, Trunk & Roots, from the Alderwood House School in British Columbia.  Their infant teachers are writing about routines and behaviors and what it might look and sound like in the class, and I'm loving it.  I like the recent episode of posessiveness expressed here.  So much drama!

I'll also share a  photo that I should not have taken in Reggio Emilia.  I also purchased the CD of images from the centers and ReMida, but I managed to grab a few of my own photos.



This setting made me think a lot about what materials very young children use as they learn, how their routines fir in their day, and what an infant teacher's priority is when it comes to working with children as a group.

5 comments:

  1. Wow this is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have such mixed reactions about the open "nap when you want to" nap spaces in Italy. We have infants who DO NOT want to nap. But they NEED to nap. So, if babes can just get up and crawl out (or over to a friend, more likely) when they want....will they sleep? How to solve this? Ah....the ever-existing nap dilemma...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, Pamela. It is difficult for children to realize that they need a rest - they would much rather stay up and play. If I said to this group, "whoever wants to rest, get their mat, whoever wants to play, play!", the mats would never be taken out, and some very cranky children would go home. This is also why I'm so torn about the rest time bags - would children keep themselves awake so that 20 minutes in, they get a bag? Some children fall asleep right before the lights go on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous29.1.10

    While it looks pretty, it is very unsafe. With 20% of SIDS cases happening in the childcare setting, this infant room should consider better safe sleep practices. There are lots of other ways to make an infant room pretty besides excess bedding, cushions and bumper pads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an interesting statistic about SIDS cases. I think that high quality care, and children being watched closely, is probably a factor in that nimber being lowered.

    In these Italian settings, the children are able to go to sleep when they choose, hence the low entries and the cushions. There is also a belief in the sensory qualities and the aesthetic and design of these environments. If the children in this room are monitored well as they sleep, I hope it would be safe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...