Google+ bakers and astronauts: Rest Time

05 November 2009

Rest Time

I am now in my sixth year of teaching. I have been at numerous schools, read many books on teaching and learning, and have begun to connect with teachers all over the globe. Writing here has been a wonderful thing for me - I'm able to reflect on my job, share the learning and exploration of my students, and organize my own thoughts. And by reading other teachers' blogs, I can learn about other classrooms, other approaches, other challenges, and see the changing community of early childhood education.

But you want to know something that no one is an expert in?

Rest time.

As I sit here, I am at a table in a darkened room, listening to a lullatone curated nap time mix (that you can find over at snore and guzzle). It is right after lunchtime, so there is the inevitable parade to the bathroom. And there are tissues. And there are cups of water. And there is the throwing away of tissues. And there is the readjusting of blankets, which always involves standing up and waving the blanket in the air between ten and twelve times.

There are two children who always fall asleep, after trying desperately to keep themselves awake for 30 minutes. On a Monday or a Friday, about half the class sleeps.

We listen to quiet music sometimes; other times we listen to stories. This group seems to be excited by storytelling -- there is more moving and joining in and excitement.

These children are all four years old now. Some have clearly outgrown their naps. Last year, towards the end of the year, we started a book time for the first 15 minutes, and that ended up lasting for the whole rest time by the end of the year. So many more children slept last year - this was not an issue at all in November.

They are staying on their mats for the most part, and being quiet. But some children do not need this rest; some need to move. These children are desperately trying to find something to do to keep themselves entertained.

So here is the question I pose : How do we balance? I am interested in giving the children on their mats something to do, but I don't want the sleepers to become so distracted they do not get the rest they need. I'm interested in the children having something to do - but the "look at a book" thing seems like it works with children who are engaged by books for 45 minutes.

Some things that come to mind:
  • nap totes with a naptime sketchbook, a book of the child's choice, something else quiet?
  • A few small mp3 players or portable CD players for children to listen to individual music and stories on, perhaps in native languages
  • small sewing bags (simple embroidery, after we have done it a few more times in class)
I'm sure there are more options - I suppose I'm reaching out to our community, here. I imagine I could make the children part of this process, as well. The girl who is making cat noises in the corner and the boy trying to throw and catch his pillow with his feet may have some interesting insights. It is their rest time, anyway.

What do you do? Would you change anything? Do you have any cutting edge ideas for this timeless dilemma?

{more coming on Reggio soon, I promise...}

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous5.11.09

    I do not have rest time anymore, as I had two half day sessions, but when I did something that worked for me was to have everyone rest quietly for 1/2 hour, until the sleepers were asleep, then I put a selection of quiet activities on a table and the non sleepers could come up one at a time very quietly and select something. Sometimes I had them watch a video in a corner of the room, and if it was nice my aide or I would take them outside while the other one stayed in with the sleepers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At my school in your age group. The children listen to a story tape, while the lead teacher takes a short break. When she gets back from break she reads a book to the children. I am not sure what book it is but it is a chapter book. If they lay on their mats quietly for 45 minutes they get to get bin toys and work on their mats quietly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our school is a half day program so I don't need to worry about rest time, but I think your point is well taken. The need for rest is obviously an individual thing. My own daughter would have napped well into her 1st grade year if that had been possible, whereas I have parents of 2-year-olds telling me their kids are already done with napping.

    I do think, however, that all it's useful for all people -- adults or children -- to take time to be alone with their thoughts. Or to even turn their brains off for a bit.

    I'm wondering if some sort of guided meditation could work in a classroom setting. I've tried it at our school in small doses (say 5-10 minutes) and most of the kids close their eyes and participate. The ones who don't have so far simply sat watching their friends without making a disturbance, which makes me think they're participating in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We would have a story read by the teacher as a serial for the first 10-15 minutes (try the original Wizard of Oz where Dorothy had silver, not red slippers!), this gave the sleepers time to fall asleep. Then we had treasure bags - little cloth bags, each with a little activity inside, little puzzles or small construction sets or bead threading, etc.

    Good luck in finding a solution, I believe it is important for children to take time out and rest, even if they don't sleep. We don't do enough of it as adults!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous17.11.09

    I'm in Australia, and at a preschool with 3-5 year olds from 9am - 3 pm and we don't have a formalised rest time because of the challenges you are talking about - although if our kids attended for longer days we would probably include it for the younger ones.

    We offer quieter activities in the afternoon, and make sure we have plenty of quiet spaces and "nests" for the kids to lie around on, make cubbies, read and snuggle if they need to recharge and this works well - although I know some of the younger 3's fall asleep in the car on the way home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your post and warmth and thoughtfulness in it. The fact that you think about so many ways to grow and optimize the kids' hours with you speaks volumes about the wonderful person you are. I am so happy to know you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...