Google+ bakers and astronauts: the children think...

17 November 2009

the children think...

Three children's perspective on things to do during rest time that are quiet:

Re: Snuggle up! With a toy - a dinosaur toy.I think a little bit of snuggling...that is quiet.

Al: Something to give me. Um, a play toy. A straight thing. Just play all by yourself. I like to play on my mat!

Me: Stuffed animals. I already have a unicorn that's quiet. She doesn't make any noise! How about colorful pencils? And books. We have books on the shelf, and books in the red cupboard.

I asked these children after rest time, "What can you do on your mat during rest time that is quiet? What can I give you?" The children's answers show that they are a bit confused by the question - and that I am proposing to allow them to play during rest time! I am asking the children with a full understanding of the English langugage to begin this process, also, because it is a bit abstract.

I have come up with my own list of my ideas, but the children's may be different. As more children become involved, and we implement these alternative activities, it will be interesting to see how the children's views change. Will they become more interested? Is this something that would be better to not share with the children in the planning stages? The interest didn't seem too piqued this afternoon when I posed the question.

As a next step, I will have the children in small groups of three, and ask them about rest time. What do they like? What do they not like? What do they like to do that is quiet?

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see how this goes. Keep sharing!

    I never think it's a mistake to include kids in planning. In fact, I'm going to start having entire days for which I have nothing planned and as the children arrive I'll let them choose what to do at each station. I'm really excited to find out what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting questions and I am keen to hear what the kids say.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...