Google+ bakers and astronauts: Organization and Natural Materials

17 July 2009

Organization and Natural Materials

I perfer to use natural items in the classroom rather than than plastic - glass jars, thrifted baskets, wooden boxes - for storage and display of materials. Many people worry about using glass with children, but it is much more appealing to the eye, and children will learn that it is a delicate material and should be used with care. There are a few broken jars every year, but I imagine that happens at home as well.

I have been fantasizing about how I will change my classroom for this September. I think about how to makeng it more comforting, more homey, and more appealing to the children. The conclusions I come to usually end up being ideas that require a lot of my time and effort, but certain things are worth it.

I am always looking for baskets to put books in in different areas of the classroom, but I never come across suitable ones. I really love the idea of making these fabric boxes.


There is a lovely tutorial here. I had bookmarked it to make some for our apartment (which I hopefully will), but these will work really well for classroom organizing. It will take a few evenings to make a few boxes, but I think I'll be glad I made them.

4 comments:

  1. I, too, love using natural materials and am slowly trying to eliminate the plastic. I use glass jars and have never had a problem. We use real plates for snack and the children learn to handle them very carefully as they set the table and wash and rinse them. I get my baskets from Goodwill at bargain prices, and lots of wooden items as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been revamping our family center. I went to the thrift store and bought all kinds of real plates, glasses, coffee cups, bowls, etc. I'm not sure what the other teachers are going to think, but I felt it would make the family center more realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My director said something to me at the beginning of last year about being careful, and things do break occasionally. Like you said, Sheryl - the children learn about handling materials ad about delicacy. It's like how we use normal digital cameras - not ones that are encased in plastic that the children can throw against the wall and they still work. The children think the materials are more beautiful, and they take better care when they know how delicate they are. Tanks for sharing, both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those boxes! Now, if I could just learn to sew!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...