Google+ bakers and astronauts: You Sing a Song, and I'll Sing a Song

26 February 2009

You Sing a Song, and I'll Sing a Song

Well Juliann, I think I might need a ukulele.

To continue with the goodness that comes from Smithsonian Folkways, I bring you the fabulous Ella Jenkins. I was introduced to her music during my first year of teaching, when my classroom came with a collection of her CD's. That year, we just couldn't get enough of Play Your Instruments and Make a Pretty Sound. I have used that song with children year after year, trading in Ella's recorded version for my own with the guitar.

But Ella plays the baritone ukulele, and MAN do I want one!

This year, we keep coming back to what has realy become my favorite song of hers .

You sing a song, and I'll sing a song
And we'll sing a song together
You sing a song, and I'll sing a song
In warm or wintry weather

I especially love the whistling. I have one child who can whistle this year, but typically I play the guitar while twenty children make their lips into a small "o" shape and make a high-pitched "hoo hoo" sound. Priceless.

Ella Jenkins - You Sing a Song and I'll Sing a Song

And for your viewing pleasure...

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous26.2.09

    do you know i bought a uke for this exact purpose? i'm learning on line and just this week brought it to preschool.

    i play to call the kids to circle time, etc. i only know three chords, but a lot of ella's songs use just those three!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. clearly you need a harmonica, too! do any of your kids show an interest in musical instruments this year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin, that is great -- I'm glad there are other teachers playing instruments at school still! It is so good for the kids to see instruments played everyday, so that they know they can do it, too. And Ella does love her C/Am/G songs :)

    And Krista, I WISH I was like Ella on the harmonica. I can only play camptown races. The kids are quite interested in music this year -- we have some instruments available in dramatic play for them to play whenever they like. Perhaps it will develop into more than just pretend play, though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...